Corned Beef and Cabbage II
My mother has been making corned beef and cabbage this way for years. She has no idea where the recipe came from but it is absolutely the best. Easy and quick...Enjoy!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 5 1/2 pound corned beef brisket
- 2 TBSP pickling spice
- 1 orange large, sliced in rounds
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 onion large
- 1/2 cup water cold
- 6 TBSP margaine divided
- 1 head cabbage large, cored and sliced
- 1 cup golden delicioud apples cored and quarterd with peel
- 1/4 cup water cold
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch roasting pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough extra extending over the sides to cover and seal in the roast.
- Rinse the brisket, and pat dry. Rub with pickling spice, and place in the prepared roasting pan. Arrange celery, orange and onion slices on and around the roast. Pour in 1/2 cup of water, and wrap aluminum foil up over the roast tightly, making sure the ends are sealed.
- Bake for about 4 hours in the preheated oven, or until meat is tender.
- About 45 minutes before the roasts time is up, heat 3 tablespoons of margarine and 1/4 cup of water in a large pot. Add cabbage and apples, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes. Occasionally shake the pot so that nothing sticks to the bottom. Serve with remaining margarine and sliced corned beef.
Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
482 calories; 27.5 g protein; 16.9 g carbohydrates; 133.9 mg cholesterol; 1680.1 mg sodium.